Saturday, September 23, 2006

Poem: Why I killed an albatross?



Wrote a poem "Why I killed an albatross?". It potrays a sailor who is guilty of killing an albatross, but he has reasons for it. Based on the fact - survival is the basic need of every creature & all ethics, morals & religions are based on it. Infact poem came into existance after I resumed eating non-veg after abstaining myself for 4 years.here it goes:


Why I killed an albatross?

Years back, life was beautiful & I was an angel,
"When I laughed last?" I vaguely remember,
Everybody hates me & I don't sail anymore,
regretting all the time why I killed an albatross.

Wondering when it started, but this is what they taught to me & their kin,
once u did this crime, atone throughout your life for this irreparable sin,
They say I "ll be burnt to hell, "ll get no mercy & no second thought,
just one label that I killed an albatross.

I gave them reasons, but they never understood what I meant,
indeed personal & social triangles of ethics need not be congruent,
Yes! I killed it but fighting for survival is never wrong,
and so I refuse to repent for killing an albatross.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is a gr8 poem. i think u r fully justified wen i read ur poem. in life we do things which ought not to have done but sometimes no one wud understand why we did it and we are branded fr life..

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home