Saturday, January 30, 2010

A tribute to J D Salinger

“What really knocks me out is a book that, when you're all done reading it, you wish the author that wrote it was a terrific friend of yours and you could call him up on the phone whenever you felt like it. That doesn't happen much, though.”

That’s what I was thinking. I thought of calling J D Salinger day before yesterday when I finished reading his book, the catcher in the rye, infact his marvelous book. I do feel connected to some of the authors and characters of the books. But this is different. The connection with Holden Caulfield is different. I wanted to talk to Holden, or may be I wanted to just see him once. I wanted to talk to Mr. Salinger to give my admiration for him. Yesterday morning, in the office, I get to hear that the ace writer dies at 91. It was a sad news. I don’t like when great people die. I felt awkward; I did not even finish admiring him. I was thinking that it’s good that such brilliant writers exist and then I get to hear the news.

In the memory of the J D Salinger, writing a bit about the book and putting down some of my favorite excerpts from his book “the catcher is the rye”

The catcher in the rye is first person narration by Holden Caulfield who has been expelled from the school after he flunked in all the subjects except English. It’s a brilliant narration of the world as seen by Holden and world he wants to see or be in. From a confused state of mind to a brilliant mind (or a bigger head) which understands human motives, from a depressing aloof person roaming on the streets of New York to the cheerful person spending time with his sister, from being nothing to being a catcher in the rye; Holden takes you through his journey of ups and downs.


"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible."

"All morons hate it when you call them a moron."

"I was half in love with her by the time we sat down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something pretty, even if they're not much to look at, or even if they're sort of stupid, you fall half in love with them, and then you never know where the hell you are. Girls. Jesus Christ. They can drive you crazy. They really can."

"It's no fun to be yellow. Maybe I'm not all yellow. I don't know. I think maybe I'm just partly yellow and partly the type that doesn't give much of a damn if they lose their gloves."

"Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules."
"Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it."
Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it's a game, all right — I'll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren't any hot-shots, then what's a game about it? Nothing. No game.

The thing is, most of the time when you're coming pretty close to doing it with a girl — a girl that isn't a prostitute or anything, I mean — she keeps telling you to stop. The trouble with me is, I stop. Most guys don't. I can't help it. You never know whether they really want you to stop, or whether they're just scared as hell, or whether they're just telling you to stop so that if you do go through with it, the blame'll be on you, not them. Anyway, I keep stopping.

"She said she had to meet her friends. Kids always have to meet their friends. That kills me"


In the first place, I'm sort of an atheist. I like Jesus and all, but I don't care too much for most of the other stuff in the Bible. Take the Disciples, for instance. They annoy the hell out of me, if you want to know the truth. They were all right after Jesus was dead and all, but while He was alive, they were about as much use to Him as a hole in the head. All they did was keep letting Him down. I like almost anybody in the Bible better than the Disciples. If you want to know the truth, the guy I like best in the Bible, next to Jesus, was that lunatic and all, that lived in the tombs and kept cutting himself with stones. I like him ten times as much as the Disciples, that poor bastard.

A lot of schools were home for vacation already, and there were about a million girls sitting and standing around waiting for their dates to show up. Girls with their legs crossed, girls with their legs not crossed, girls with terrific legs, girls with lousy legs, girls that looked like swell girls, girls that looked like they'd be bitches if you knew them. It was really nice sightseeing, if you know what I mean. In a way, it was sort of depressing, too, because you kept wondering what the hell would happen to all of them. When they got out of school and college, I mean. You figured most of them would probably marry dopey guys. Guys that always talk about how many miles they get to a gallon in their goddam cars. Guys that get sore and childish as hell if you beat them at golf, or even just some stupid game like ping-pong. Guys that are very mean. Guys that never read books. Guys that are very boring

The trouble with girls is, if they like a boy, no matter how big a bastard he is, they'll say he has an inferiority complex, and if they don't like him, no matter how nice a guy he is, or how big an inferiority complex he has, they'll say he's conceited. Even smart girls do it.

These intellectual guys don't like to have an intellectual conversation with you unless they're running the whole thing. They always want you to shut up when they shut up, and go back to your room when they go back to their room.

I 'm not too sure old Phoebe knew what the hell I was talking about. I mean she's only a little child and all. But she was listening, at least. If somebody at least listens, it's not too bad.

"You know that song 'If a body catch a body comin' through the rye'? I'd like — "
"It's 'If a body meet a body coming through the rye'!" old Phoebe said. "It's a poem. By Robert Burns."
"I know it's a poem by Robert Burns."
She was right, though. It is "If a body meet a body coming through the rye." I didn't know it then, though.
"I thought it was 'If a body catch a body,'" I said. "Anyway, I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around — nobody big, I mean — except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff — I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy."

7 Comments:

Blogger Anshuman said...

An admirable post indeed. I didn't know that he is no more. I feel sad from within. I read this book quite a few time back and how can I forget that narration in which Holden shook hands with an army officer. "They feel that you will look like a pansy if they don't break your fingers." That guy is just too good. We all have those kind of feelings but we just can't say them in front of anyone and that's perhaps the reason of popularity of this novel. EVERYONE of us can connect to that character.

11:55 PM  
Blogger jasdeep mandia said...

rightly said anshuman. narration is awesome. its interesting and smooth, but the idea behind whole narration is so deep. like when holden tells that he broke the window panes with his fists, it hurt him alot, but you should have known Alley.

12:05 AM  
Blogger avenged sevenfold said...

You know jasdeep, you were the one who first gave me the news and the first thing i did when i was home was to flip through the pages of the newspaper. There was nothing to be found...i was too early perhaps..they hadnt published it...
But it didnt matter..what could they have said that would have been worthy enough bout this great writer...

There have been phases in my life where i've identified myself with different characters..Holden Caulfield is however someone i'll identify with all my life. Thats what J.D Salinger was to me...

3:07 AM  
Blogger jasdeep mandia said...

hey shambhavi, times of india did published an article on J D Salinger on 30-jan. I read the almost same article on internet also. They might have bought it from them.

Though I don't identify myself as Holden (I might be a phony creature myself) but I do feel very connected with that character.

I just now noticed that the your blog's name is the catcher in the rye. now, i can well imagine what JDS means to you.

4:21 AM  
Blogger neo said...

nice one bro.. infact you did what was already lingering in my mind.. To write a blog topic on Salinger.. May be I will ..

3:13 PM  
Blogger CalviNNatioN said...

Cool stuff I just chose jd salinger as an author for a school project and am reading the catcher in the rye and am enjoying it. Its funny because I was just clicking the next blog link and just seeing what popped up, This is some cool suff, Keep it up!!

9:47 AM  
Blogger CalviNNatioN said...

Cool stuff I just chose jd salinger as an author for a school project and am reading the catcher in the rye and am enjoying it. Its funny because I was just clicking the next blog link and just seeing what popped up, This is some cool suff, Keep it up!!

9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home