Thursday, July 19, 2007

Experience : Mob Mentality

If I wish to describe mob in one line. That would be : they are the creators, they are the destroyers, they are the doers because next person is the same. Won't be appreciating the mob for getting us independence, and few other things or criticizing them for demolishing or destructing and doing the acts I feel are wrong and irrational. I am writing this to share an experience. Last year, near Deepawali, - the time company is bound to give bonus to employees - the time we are bound to give bonus to the house maid, chaukidaar and even company's bus driver. It was an early morning (doesn't really matter how older I get, 7:00 O Clock in the morning, "ll always be early for me) when everyone in the bus including me was thinking about the collection being done by the helper of my company's bus. I wanted to know how much money I have to give which is the same as everybody else gives. After 10 minutes I had the list in my hands and I was supposed to put my name and money given on it. Ten names were already there and everybody gave 100 Rs each. I knew that 50 people are behind me. I knew I had the chance to break the rule (which everybody was following till now because they didn't had guts to break it). I wanted a proof that people will give less than 100 Rs if given a chance. So, I did it. I took 50 Rs out of my pocket & gave it to the helper & to my surprise it wasn't embarrassing. I ignored the disappointment I saw on the face of the helper because I had a reason for doing it. I wanted to be free and so was I. Person just sitting next to me also gave 50 Rs that too after getting change from me. Wow! It was a great feeling. I gave him independence to do what he wanted to do. Later on, when I got the full list I was happy to see that more than 40% out of 50 commuters gave 50 Rs because they had the an option for it. Rest gave 100 Rs may be because they wanted to or may be because they were shy to ask for 50 Rs change. And for all those altruists who gave 200 Rs, God bless them.

5 Comments:

Blogger neo said...

Hmm..What do i infer now?

1)U r stingy? No u r not i know..

2)U tried a experiment early morning and wanted to read the junta's psychology? May b..u managed to do so..

Indeed there r many situations we face in life as u mentioned here. Giving contri is one instance where we want to offer less but end up giving more only coz others r doing it and we will feel ashamed or shy doing wat we wanted to do..

U did wat u wanted to do..BUT u had influenced others too..

The result? The benefactor got only half the amount which he expected..

Neo

3:20 PM  
Blogger Tarun Soni said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Tarun Soni said...

A good one indeed, you have potrayed the psychology of people very well.
But the writing is not up to the mark with the previous posts, firstly the title seems a little distant from the main idea.
The introduction or the start doesnt arouse much interest either.
Overall the idea was good but the portrayal was average.

6:08 PM  
Blogger DC said...

cool , a nice experince I say , i know u loved to do these things right from beginning. and We all remember you for all these tiny tiny (this time logical too :) ) things.
it actually also gave an insight of human psychology of just doing Copy Cat without listening their inner voice.

just on the lighter side

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Kalyan said...

Quintessentially Jassi

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home