Sunday, September 30, 2007

Article: Intensifier

Intensifier: word which does not adds meaning to the sentence but definitely adds taste to it.
Broadly looking, this world is divided into two worlds or sub-worlds. One which uses bad language uses intensifiers and thinks it’s alright to use it and the second world is the sophisticated world. I believe most of us are the part of these two worlds, at least boys are. Beauty does not lie in any of the world, it lies in living in two worlds and switching whenever needed and appreciating these worlds and realizing that there is not much difference between the two. Everything is fine and everything goes smooth until people from these two worlds communicate and misunderstand each other because the same word has got different meanings in two worlds. Everybody has seen the second world.
Now, let me welcome you to the world where we use language which is considered obnoxious. You won't really feel this world unless I use some of its common words loved by everyone here: BC, MB, fu*k, as*hole bla bla bla..... & this is endless. But that’s enough I guess to show you the glance of it. About the list believe me, it is endless. So many such words and all possible permutations and combinations make it an infinite list growing day by day as if there is no end to it, as if it will go forever and ever. And everyday, new words and so many combinations coming out of the creative minds may be during their zenith or may be when they are in dark abyss or may be, just may be, just like that. Please note that you don't have to cram the list. Just start with any one to enter in this world and knowing the fact that it does not mean anything. Chances are that the first one you pick up may become your favorite one. You might end up making a combination of two or three depending on its reusability, reload time, relevance, penetration in the language.

Now the big question: what these words are doing in a conversation? It may not add meaning to the conversation but its just there to add taste to the conversation. Just to add a flavor. Just to give a support to the conversation. Sometimes, to tell everybody that things are more beautiful that what it sounds without using these words or things are worse than they appear. Sometimes to add humor. Sometimes to praise somebody. Sometimes to foster. Sometimes to show empathy. Sometimes to show anger. Sometimes to show fear. Sometimes to show excitement. Sometimes to fill the silence gaps in the conversation. Sometimes for the sake of using it. Sometimes, because we are having a conversation with the people of this world who might not understand completely if its not used appropriately. And when we are in this world, we use such language because we don't know we are using it, it’s the time when these words become an inseparable part of our language and we have to practice hard enough for switching to the sophisticated world.
How did I enter? 1st year of B.Tech in IIT Roorkee. Few senior caught me along with my friends for ragging. I had to address my friend with some intensifier. I never used such language before. It was difficult for me and I was determined not to spoil myself. Senior said "Chal, mujhe dede gali. Koi bhi, teri marji ki". I said "Gali toh nahin dunga Sir. Kar lo jo karna hai". Some other senior saved me from there and we had some snacks. Thanks to him. One month among friends and I was so comfortable using such language. I realized that it’s just adds to the taste. I met that senior after one month and I said "MC". He asked "gali kyon de raha hai?". I said "Gali toh main dunga hee Sir. Kar lo jo karna hai."
Anyway, my intension to write this was just to show the people of sophisticated world how conversation in this world goes, to give them an understanding that these words doesn't mean anything in this world but still they mean so much for the conversation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home